Accountant 2- Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering in UNM's School of Engineering is offering an exciting opportunity for a highly-motivated financial professional who prefers a fast-paced yet rewarding environment. You could enjoy working in an academic setting offering generous benefits and a flexible or telecommuting schedule- all while assisting faculty conduct cutting edge research and students who are striving for their degrees. Why not join our dynamic team as an Accountant II?
The successful applicant must be detail-oriented with excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills as they will be responsible for managing both restricted and unrestricted funds within the department. They will oversee and work closely with the departmental fiscal services technician. They will also be skilled in budget development, financial tracking and reporting. They will be able to investigate, interpret and analyze financial data. They will be adept at recordkeeping and information-gathering. The monitoring, review and reconciliation of accounts accurately and completely is a major aspect of this position. They will also work closely with the department administrator and will have a high degree of interaction with a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students. Strong oral and written communication skills are required for this position.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assists and oversees pre/post-award functions, such as budget preparation, proposal submissions, managing awarded grants, preparing post-award documents, processing requests for extensions, tracking incremental grant obligations and multi-year awards, etc.
- Oversees daily processing and accounting for revenue and expenditures of the Department; reviews and reports financial transactions to funding sources; ensures accuracy, completeness and compliance with University, local, state, and federal requirements, and standard accounting and audit procedures.
- Prepares monthly statements for the Chair, Faculty, and Department Administrator to include account balances and expenditures, and communicates information on accounting policies and/or procedural changes in a manner easily understood by others.
- Oversees fiscal support staff, including overseeing the work allocation, training, and problem resolution; provides input concerning performance and motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance while fostering a cooperative work environment.
- Monitors and maintains key accounting information for the Department within the Banner finance system and manages the department's excel-based shadow system.
- Manages the annual budget/salary planner and mid-year review processes
See the Position Description for additional information.
Conditions of Employment
Bachelor's degree and successful completion of at least 12 credit hours of university-level accounting through intermediate accounting; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
- Bachelor degree in accounting, finance, and business.
- 1 to 5 years accounting experience above minimum requirements with a high volume of restricted and unrestricted indices to include reconciling and forecasting.
- Experience using MS Excel or other accounting software for reconciliations, forecasting and reporting.
- Experience with contract/grant pre-award budgeting and award submission process.
- Experience with post-award fiscal management
- Ability to research, collect, analyze and compile data for regular monthly management reports.
- Familiarity with UNM policies/procedures and UNM accounting standards in both restricted and unrestricted accounting.
- Experience working with UNM systems including: My Reports, BannerFinance, WorkFlow, LoboMart, EPrint, Effort Certification Systems, EPAFs,Budget Planner, Salary Planner, and Budget Categorization System.
- Ability to communicate financial information concisely to the lay person, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
Main - Albuquerque, NM
Mechanical Engineering (023A)
Regular - Full-Time
Term End Date
This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.
Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.
Background Check Required
For Best Consideration Date
Only applications submitted through the official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this job advertisement on a 3rd party site, please visit UNMJobs to submit an application.
Please upload a cover letter and current resume to your application.
The University of New Mexico has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement for UNM students and employees. For detailed information, visit https://bringbackthepack.unm.edu/vaccine/vaccine-requirement.htmlPositions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.