Accountant 3 - Department of Neurology
The Department of Neurology in the UNM School of Medicine plays a critical role in improving the health of all New Mexicans. Our department is the Southwestern hub for advanced neurological diagnosis and patient care. We seek a dynamic individual to join our team as an Accountant 3 and be a part of our important mission and exciting growth. This position can be a hybrid work schedule, working partially in the office and partially remote.
This position will play an important role in assisting in the development of the department's annual budget and be responsible for the entire life cycle of all contracts and grants in the department, including clinical billing and post-award. The position will be responsible for the department's restricted and unrestricted accounting and will provide leadership to research coordinators, other accounting/admin staff and will act as a strategic partner with the Department
Administrator and Operations Manager to advance the strategic plan and goals of Neurology.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
• Responsible for department's unrestricted and restricted indexes, including journal entries, monthly reconciliations and financial reporting
• Monitor, report, forecast and analyze the financial operations for Neurology leadership and units and make recommendations on expenditures and asset allocation
• Oversee the day to day management of Department's Contracts and Grants, including grant submission, close-outs, billing clinical trials, tracking payments and balancing accounts, revenues and expenditures
• Act as Department liaison and resource for research faculty, for HSC Contracts and Grants for all submissions
• Supervise a lower level accountant in department including hiring, performance management, training, and work allocation
• Act as main point of contact and expertise for accounting and database applications and maintaining balances and ledgers for the automated financial and human resource management systems
See the Position Description for additional information.
Conditions of Employment
Bachelor's degree and successful completion of at least 15 credit hours of university-level accounting through intermediate accounting; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
• Master's Degree in Accounting or Business Management
• Experience with NIH awards and maintaining a research award from submission, pre-award to post-award in an academic setting.
• Proficient in MS Excel and MS Access to analyze/interpret financial data and prepare financial reports
• Experience working in Banner, MyReports, Chrome River and other UNM financial systems
• Strong communications skills and experience directing the work of others
• The ability to interpret, report and make recommendations to department investigators and leadership on expenditures and asset allocation, funding policies, regulations, and requirements
• Ability to learn, understand and apply the University's Restricted and Unrestricted Accounting policies
• Experience working effectively in a team environment to meet deadlines and improve processes
Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM
Neurology Administration (490E)
Regular - Full-Time
Term End Date
$3,553.33 to $5,151.47 Monthly
This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.
Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.
Background Check Required
For Best Consideration Date
Only applications submitted through the official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this job advertisement on a 3rd party site, please visit UNMJobs to submit an application.
Please attach a Resume and Cover Letter and describe in your Cover Letter how you meet the preferred qualifications for the position. Please complete the work history and education history sections of the application including number of hours worked and reason for leaving.
The University of New Mexico has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement for UNM students and employees. For detailed information, visit https://bringbackthepack.unm.edu/vaccine/vaccine-requirement.html
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.