Doorways, is an Arlington-based non-profit agency helping individuals and families create pathways out of homelessness, domestic violence and sexual assault leading to safe, stable and empowered lives. We envision a community where all people live free of violence and have safe and stable housing regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, age, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, abilities, language, or national origin. We see a future without homelessness or domestic and sexual violence.
Doorways began in 1978 when a group of concerned community members saw there was no safe place in Arlington for families in crisis. What began then with one shelter and one response has grown into a series of pathways individually tailored for adults, youth, and children seeking safety and shelter. From immediate crisis intervention to counseling, housing, and employment support, we offer real options and multiple pathways for people of all ages and genders-women, men, youth, and LGBTQIA+ people.
The Staff Accountant has responsibility for the day-to-day accounting functions to include payroll administration and processing, revenue recognition, monitoring cash flow, bank and financial account reconciliation preparation, analysis and explanation of significant monthly financial variances, budget development, audit and 990 support and backup vendor payment processing. This position is full time (40 hours/week) and reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare agency payroll bi-weekly through ADP ensuring changes initiated by Human Resources (HR) through PARFS and Employee Separation forms are processed.
- Coordinate and implement benefit selections, including 403(b), with the Director of Volunteer and Human Resources ensuring employee deductions in ADP are accurate.
- Review biweekly payroll before processing with the Director of Volunteer and Human Resources to ensure accuracy and that payroll is reflective of any changes supported by PARFS and any terminations.
- Prepare check for 403(b) deductions and match after each payroll ensuring the payment is made timely and is accurate.
- Prepare 5500 questionnaire annually.
- Prepare supporting documents to facilitate the annual workers' compensation audit.
- Act as resident ADP expert, understand the system, how ADP interfaces with Financial Edge and the ADP reporting capabilities.
In conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), provide the following services:
- Process daily cash receipts by scanning to the proper operating bank account.
- Review and reconcile Raisers Edge revenue journal entries provided by Development on a monthly basis to the appropriate bank statements for cash, checks, EFT and credit card payments received each month and coordinate review and posting with CFO.
- Prepare assigned general ledger entries (such as accrued leave activity, gift card and in-kind receipt and usage, ADP fees, Credit Card fees, and HRA/FSA/DCA expenses) for CFO approval and posting to FE.
- Reconcile all bank accounts on a monthly basis including investment accounts for CFO approval.
- Reconcile pledge receivable account, gift card inventory, accrued leave, and withholding accounts on a monthly basis for CFO approval.
- Act as backup for Senior Staff Accountant in processing payment of all invoices.
- Facilitate agency's annual independent audit and Form 990 preparation by providing necessary documentation and explanation regarding the agency's financial transactions.
- Monitor monthly cash flow ensuring sufficient cash is available for payroll processing and supporting the Finance Committee responsibility to monitor the status of agency reserves.
- Assist CFO in month-end close process by preparation and review of monthly financial statements generated from Financial Edge, assisting with significant variance explanations
- Assist with the development of the agency's annual and long-term budgets (to include the payroll benefit accounts).
- Play a role in monitoring and reporting on the budget throughout the fiscal year.
Special Projects as assigned.
- Demonstrate alignment with Doorways core values and mission.
- In partnership with Doorways staff, assist with Doorways client and community events.
- Attend meetings, as required.
- Maintain current industry knowledge and best practices.
- Adhere to agency policies and procedures.
Knowledge and Skills Needed:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- 2+ years of experience in Accounting; non-profit experience a plus
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to multi-task while also being willing to "roll up the sleeves" and get tasks done
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team
- Must possess strong computer skills, including intermediate proficiency with Excel spreadsheets and remaining software applications in Microsoft Suite
- Advanced knowledge and practical experience with ADP and Financial Edge or other similar payroll and accounting software desired
- Completion of a CPS/Criminal Background Check.
- Access to a reliable vehicle, valid driver's license and proof of automobile insurance
- Must maintain personal cell phone for work-related purposes.
- Must be located in the DMV area.
- $68,000-$70,000 commensurate with experience.
- Excellent benefits - health/dental/vision, life, LTD, 403(b), etc.
Doorways observes the CDC recommendations for COVID-19 precautions.
We have a vaccine mandate for our employees and required weekly testing for unvaccinated employees.
Doorways for Women and Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
People of color, women, LGBTQ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Doorways is committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. See www.doorwaysva.org for more information