The Mission of the Ohio Department of Commerce is promoting prosperity by protecting what matters most.
The Division of Financial Institutions ensures Ohioans' money is safe by regulating financial institutions and service providers. This includes examining, supervising and regulating Ohio chartered banks and credit unions, and licensing and regulating non-depository mortgage brokers, mortgage loan originators, and other consumer lenders. The Division's Office of Consumer Affairs provides assistance to consumers to help resolve complaints against these institutions and works to provide education to Ohioans regarding financial literacy and other consumer protection topics. What You'll Do:
- Supervises consumer finance enforcement legal staff consisting of lower-level attorneys, other professionals & support staff; trains & assists enforcement attorneys on determinations to be made and actions to be taken with difficult consumer finance enforcement cases,
- Assigns work load, reviews work product & oversees development of & enforces policy affecting legal programs, proceedings &/or agency operations or serves as management level employee & provides legal counsel & advice to the appointing authority on policy development & implementation relating to consumer finance legal functions.
- Researches & drafts legal opinions, orders, memoranda & other legal documents; analyzes, monitors & drafts legislation; assists with public records requests; conducts negotiations & represents agency in arbitration matters; represents agency in variety of legal proceedings;
- Responds to legal inquiries from public & government officials; assists lower-level attorneys in answering complex questions of law; cooperates with Office of Attorney General on legal issues as required.
This is a pay range 15 What's in it for you:
At the State of Ohio, we take care of the team that cares for Ohioans. We provide a variety of quality, competitive benefits to eligible full-time and part-time employees. For a list of all the State of Ohio Benefits, visit our Total Rewards website ! Our benefits package includes:
- Quality, affordable, and competitive medical benefits are offered through the Ohio Med PPO plan.
Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance
- Dental, vision and basic life insurance premiums are free after one year of continuous service.
Time Away From Work and Work/Life Balance
- Paid time off, including vacation, personal, and sick leave
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Childbirth/Adoption leave
Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
- OPERS is the retirement system for State of Ohio employees. The employee contributes 10% of their salary towards their retirement. The employer contributes an amount equal to 14% of the employee's salary. Visit the OPERS website for more information.
- The Ohio Deferred Compensation program is a 457(b) voluntary retirement savings plan. Visit the Ohio Deferred Compensation website for more information.
Ohio is a Disability Inclusion State and strives to be a Model Employer of Individuals with disabilities. The State of Ohio is committed to providing access and inclusion and reasonable accommodation in its services, activities, programs and employment opportunities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other applicable laws.Qualifications
Admission to Ohio Bar pursuant to Section 4705.01 of Revised Code; 18 mos. exp. as licensed attorney; 6 mos. exp. in supervisory principles/techniques.